Gynecomastia is the medical name for a condition where men develop breasts. The main treatment option for this distressing condition is gynecomastia surgery.
One of the most important questions sufferers of the condition may have is how much does it cost? The cost of gynecomastia surgery varies. One major factor is that very rarely is the procedure ever covered by medical insurance companies. This doesn’t mean that it is never covered. In some cases, if the condition is primarily caused by a medical condition some insurance companies will cover the cost of the surgery.
Gynecomastia surgery ranges from between $6000 to $10,000.00. The cost will depend on a number of factors. Some of these factors are:
• Experience and fame of the plastic surgeon: The more experienced and well known the surgeon is, the higher the cost will be. Since all surgeries are risky, it is advisable to pay a little extra to get a surgeon who is experienced in the field and is known to be competent in this area.
• Where the surgeons are located: Cost for this procedure varies depending on where in the USA the surgeon’s practice is located. Some states have higher cosmetic surgery fees than others.
• The hospital or clinic in which the procedure is done: More prestigious and upscale medical facilities will cost more. As with any surgical procedure however, it is worthwhile to use the best facility that you can afford.
• The procedure or procedures used to reduce the breasts: There are a number of procedures that can be used to reduce the size of the breasts. Some will be more technical than others, and will also take longer than the average 1 ½ to 2 hours.
• The anesthesiologist used: The experience of the anesthesiologist will have a significant impact on the cost of the procedure. Most will charge by the hour with a rate of $250-300 being common.
• The number and type of tests required: Before any medical procedure the patient will need to take a number of tests to help determine how fit they are for the procedure. These tests can be a lot or a few depending on the overall health of the prospective patient.
• The severity of the condition (which will impact the number of hours the surgery will take). This will also make the procedure more difficult to perform, especially on really overweight patients.
• The length of stay in the hospital/clinic after the procedure. Some patients will be able to leave the hospital after a few days; others may need to stay longer. Since fees are charged based on number of days as well as care provided, the longer the stay the higher the overall costs.
Gynecomastia reduction surgery cost is generally broken down as follows:
• Plastic surgeon: between $3000 – $7000. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons currently lists surgeon’s fees for breast reduction from $4,800 – $7,000. It does not give a cost specifically for gynecomastia reduction.
• Anesthesiologist: approximately $300 per hour
• Hospital/Clinic: Approximately $2000 for average length of stay
• Miscellaneous fees (for blood work etc)
For many men suffering from gynecomastia, the cost of breast reduction surgery is a small price to pay in order to lead a normal life.